[Fluxbox-users] Focus-follows-Mouse and maximizing problems in Fluxbox 1.0rc3
Gene Campbell
2007-07-17 10:35:51 UTC
I upgraded from .9.11 (i think), to 1.0rc3.

1) There is no sloppy focus anymore (it seems as of 9.14.)

from here: http://www.fluxbox.org/version-0.9.php

"SloppyFocus, SemiSloppyFocus and ClickToFocus options are now
MouseFocus, ClickFocus, MouseTabFocus and ClickTabFocus"

By Sloppy Focus I mean the mouse only focuses on windows when the mouse
stops moving. Or, at least offer a delay (possibly configurable), such that
the wm focuses the window after the delay.

This is really frustrating, and make flux 100% unusable for me. Too
bad, I love
flux otherwise - mouse wheeling, the nice panel, sweet themes,
everything about it,
well, except for the next thing

2) In .9.11 i could maximize aterm and it would sit on top of the panel
(toolbar.)
now there's a gap. No amount of theme changing, tweeking, font changing
etc, will fix it.
Why could flux .9.11 do it, but not it can't? Why can't a bit of extra
window be added,
so that mouse focus works better. (Actually, with a focus delay, see 1,
this is less important.)

Any insight would be mucho mucho appreciated.!

cheers
gene
Mathias Gumz
2007-07-17 11:38:27 UTC
hi,
Post by Gene Campbell
I upgraded from .9.11 (i think), to 1.0rc3.
good choice
Post by Gene Campbell
1) There is no sloppy focus anymore (it seems as of 9.14.)
they got renamed.

http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/fluxbox/trunk/doc/asciidoc/fluxbox.txt

quote:

<pre>

FOCUS MODEL
-----------
The Focus Model defines how windows gain focus (i.e. become the active window,
which receives keyboard and mouse events). The focus model can be changed in
the configuration menu (usually located under 'fluxbox menu' in the Root Menu.

There are two main aspects of the focus model: how windows gain focus and how
tabs gain focus. Each of these has two options: focus follows mouse and click
to focus. Focus follows mouse means that windows will gain focus when the mouse
hovers over them. Click to focus means that windows will gain focus when the
mouse clicks on them.

Thus, there are four main options when choosing a focus model. You should choose
one of the first two and one of the last two. They are:

- *Click To Focus*:
click to focus windows
- *Mouse Focus*:
window focus follows mouse
- *ClickTabFocus*:
click to focus tabs
- *MouseTabFocus*:
tab focus follows mouse

There is one more option in the focus model menu. It is called AutoRaise. When
AutoRaise is enabled, focused windows will appear on top of other windows in
the same layer. When AutoRaise is disabled, you must explicitly raise a focused
window, using the window menu or keybinding.

</pre>
Post by Gene Campbell
2) In .9.11 i could maximize aterm and it would sit on top of the panel
(toolbar.)
now there's a gap. No amount of theme changing, tweeking, font changing
etc, will fix it.
make a screenshot and paint a red brush to where the gap is.
Post by Gene Campbell
Why could flux .9.11 do it, but not it can't? Why can't a bit of extra
window be added,
br,
mathias
--
[uid] mathias gumz [mail] akira at fluxbox dot org [pgp] 1024D/F6F6B18C
[www] http://www.darkshed.net/ [irc] ak|ra (#fluxbox at freenode.org)
Gene Campbell
2007-07-17 21:32:47 UTC
Mathias, Thanks for the reply

You say they got renamed, I realize that, but it's funny how things work
out.
After upgrading, my terms don't maximize to the top of the panel
anymore. I know this problem
is well documented. Other wm's make mention it it. But, what puzzles
me is that .9.11 would maximize
the terms just fine... put them right on top of the panel, no gap.

Now, fast forward to 1.0rc3, maximize aterm, there is a gap. When I
move the mouse from a window to the panel, if the mouse happens to float
over another window on the way that is below the terminal window, that
window below get's focus, and if I then choose it in the panel with the
intent to bring
it to the front, it gets minimized instead, because it was focused. A
delay on the mouse focus might fix this. icewm, and openbox have a delay.
ahwm goes a step further with dealing with this. Fluxbox doesn't seem
to deal with it much at all.

(I'll try to get a screenshot, but in the meantime, please try to
imagine it. 5+- pixels of whatever is behind
is shown between the bottom of an aterm and the top of the panel with
the term is maximized. Note all other
app windows maximize properly.)

thanks
gene
Post by Mathias Gumz
hi,
mathias
Mathias Gumz
2007-07-18 08:34:50 UTC
hi,
Post by Gene Campbell
(I'll try to get a screenshot, but in the meantime, please try to
imagine it. 5+- pixels of whatever is behind
is shown between the bottom of an aterm and the top of the panel with
the term is maximized. Note all other
app windows maximize properly.)
i think the problem you describe is that "maximize" tries to use as
much space as it can "legally" get. which means, it resizes the window
to the biggest size with respect to the "increment size hints" of that
app. eg, aterm (xterm etc) have size increment hints to say: "dear
windowmanager, resize us only to values so there are always complete
gylphs visible." .. other apps like firefox have also a "increment
size hint" but its 1px, because it offers scrollbars etc.

a different issue is "fullscreen". if you would execute fullscreen to
an aterm it would really fill the full screen.

br, mathias
Gene Campbell
2007-07-18 08:57:45 UTC
Any idea why aterm resizes to the top of the tool panel in my older
version (.9.11)
and not in the the latest version? It happens with any font face, size,
and fluxfox theme
I've tried so far.

You're explanation of why it doesn't fill up the screen makes sense, and
I've heard it
before. It's a something that has come up before, and I've seen a few
vm docs talk about it.

But, why my old version of flux didn't have the problem is what I don't
understand.
Perhaps it was a "bug" that I considered a "feature".

thanks again for you replies!!

gene
Post by Mathias Gumz
hi,
br, mathias
Mathias Gumz
2007-07-18 09:13:51 UTC
Post by Gene Campbell
Any idea why aterm resizes to the top of the tool panel in my older
version (.9.11)
and not in the the latest version? It happens with any font face, size,
and fluxfox theme
I've tried so far.
i cant visualize what you mean at the moment because i dont have
access to fluxbox (i moved to a new appartment and all the boxes are
basically untouched yet and @ work i am using win32)

br, mathias
Valter Toffolo
2007-07-18 18:20:06 UTC
well, i don't have to face this problem because i'd rather user the
keyboard to do everything, but i guess i understood what campbell was
talking about. so i changed a few configs in my fb in order to take a
screenshot that could be useful (attached). assuming you have a
workspace with a xterm and a xcalc, toolbar placed in the bottom of
the screen, and you use MouseFocus. xterm is maximized, but there is a
gap between xterm window and the toolbar because another row wouldn't
fit the screen and you can't resize by half a row. xcalc is placed in
this gap, lowered. you use to click in the toolbar to focus/raise a
window, so you are going to switch from xterm to xcalc. but when the
cursor is in its way to click on 'calculator' in the toolbar, it runs
through that 'gap' and focus xcalc, so when you click on it's toolbar
icon it gets minimized. is that it, campbell? yes i think MouseFocus
should have a configurable delay, as do AutoRaise (sorry if it already
has and i'm not aware).
hope that helps. happy fluxboxing ;)
Gene Campbell
2007-07-18 20:58:32 UTC
Valter,

Yes, you describe the problem perfectly! Thank you for that!
Glad you agree that a delay is needed (or there is one, and we can't
find it.)

But, what is bugging me is that earlier flux's didn't have the problem, but
newer ones do!? Must have been an undocumented feature. :)

thanks
gene
Valter Toffolo
2007-07-18 21:43:33 UTC
Simon Bowden
2007-08-04 17:41:01 UTC

Looking at the screenshot from Valter, the gap *us* bigger than one line
of aterm.

But the explanation/solution is simple: right click on the toolbar to
get the menu, and select "Maximise Over".

If this is already selected, then the gap is surely less than one line
of aterm, and thus the "rounding" issue: not really much we can do about
that at the mo.

Cheers,

- Simon